Thursday, August 08, 2019

Seven Signs of Life - Aoife Abbey

I enjoy most medical memoirs I read, and I think each of the books gives us more insight into our own lives and health.  Aoife Abbey is an Intensive Care doctor involved in helping patients at some of the scariest times of their lives as they often face life or death choices.  Her compassion and humanity come across strongly in this book as she helps patients and their families and I admire some of the quiet moments when she has sat by a bedside to hold a patients hand.

The only thing I do find a bit conflicting about this genre is that the author often has to change parts of the story about patients in order to make them unidentifiable to the reader, yet it is these stories that are at the core of the book.  Still it reassures me to know that there are such kind and perceptive people specializing in this field of medicine.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I know that sometimes such memoirs have to make composite characters from several real people. I sometimes wonder if that affects the reality of the story.