Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Queen of Kings - Maria Dahvana Headley

Queen of Kings - Maria Dahvana Headley (2011)

Queen Cleopatra of Egypt is trapped in Alexandria, when she  recieves a message that her beloved husband Mark Anthony has died.  Wanting to save Egypt and resurrect her  husband, she summons the gods and trades her heart and soul to seek revenge on the Emperor Octavian, who has set out to destroy husband and wife and retake Egypt for the Roman Empire.

I'm not a huge fan of the vampire/fantasy genre, I usually get bored by all  crazy names and night time angst.  Maybe it was all the years of reading Anne Rice novels that put me off most of these stories.  However I picked up this book in the bookstore several months ago, and was intrigued by the story involving Queen Cleopatra.

 The combination of ancient Egypt and Rome and mythical storyline  kept me going through this novel, and I liked reading about their travels through the underworld meeting the gods.  It was a good solid read from a talented author, and I hope she writes more, but  maybe with less serpants and crazed demons.  3/5

No comments: