Saturday, August 11, 2012

Bully

Bully (2011)

This was another movie I managed to see at the Film Festival.  I was quite surprised that the theatre was only a quarter full, but I guess it was 10:30 in the morning.

Following a group of five students over a school year, it looks at both kids who are currently being bullied and the families of children, who after relentless bullying killed themselves.  It was shocking, and the level of hassle that these kids underwent, even when the bullies were being filmed was just horrible, with kids being picked on their whole time at school.

I think it is an important film for high school students and a lot of their families to see. Even if you know teenagers, it is worth a watch to have a discussion about it.   It concerned me that the teachers and school administrators seemed naive and ignorant in their understanding and approach.  Shame on them.  I hope that they were all embarrassed to watch the movie, and stepped up and did more to protect their students.

4/5

No comments: