Thursday, April 12, 2018

My Year With Helen

My Year with Helen is a documentary about Helen Clark a New Zealander who served as our Prime Minister from 1999-2008.  Since leaving politics here she has worked at the United Nations as an Administrator in the United Nations Development Programme. This movie follows her in 2016 as she  attempts to become the first woman elected to be the Secretary General of the United Nations, a position that has only been filled by men since its establishment in 1945. 

It is an interesting movie in looking at all the political maneuvering occurring in New York, the schmoozing necessary to gain favor made me wonder if this quiet Kiwi woman would be suited to the role, she always seems to have paved her own way and I was surprised to see her in so much lipstick!

The most touching part of the movie, was Helen at home.  When she arrives back in Auckland from New York, she spends her evenings cooking meals for her 94 year old father.  Filling up his freezer with stews and curries so that he has meals to eat while she is away.  Bless. 

So I can't imagine that there would be too much interest outside NZ for this one.  It was sold out at the film festival when it was first viewed last year.  I watched it online through itunes where it was a 99c special.  3/5

2 comments:

John Bellen said...

I can't see why anyone would want to work at the United Nations. It must be like politics in the U.S., but in a hundred languages.

sallyhicks said...

I would really enjoy this being very much in awe of her as a person. She could sound quite tough but she had a gentle heart. I remember how she cried on Waitangi Day. I just don’t seem to be able to connect with these cheap downloads. My iPad was set up for me the date was wrong and I am not even sure of the passwords. I am so tired of trying.. if there is a film I really want to see and can’t get it on utube but that is too expensive. If anyone has suggestions I would be most grateful. I would love to see Churchill’s darkest hour. I am a great admirer of him.