Friday, April 06, 2018

The Family Next Door - Sally Hepworth

We get to meet a few of the neighbors of a quiet Melbourne suburb where everything looks perfect and everyone looks happy, but of course things are about to change when the mysterious new single Isabelle moves in next door.  Now friendships and relationships seem in danger as we get to peek behind the curtains.

I enjoyed the book, it had echoes of Liane Moriatry  and her stories.  I did find the shifting narratives of each chapter slightly confusing - it must be my middle aged lady brain, as sometimes I had to double check whose story I was reading.   4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Shifting narratives, different points of view and unstable chronology are the 'in' way to write now. Unfortunately, it can be tiring if not done well, or interestingly.