Friday, April 27, 2018

The Geurnsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

Well look at me - having a Friday night out in the city (although I was home by 9pm).  One of my friends texted to see if I wanted to go and see this movie, and I was happy to be able to go as I had been looking forward to it.  I had attempted to read the book when it came out in 2008, but hadn't been able to get into it.  However when I saw the trailer for the movie, I knew it was something that would be right up my alley.

This is the story of Juliet Ashton, a young author who begins a correspondence with a pig farmer on Geurnsey Island, who tells her about how they formed their bookclub during the German occupation.  Going to the island she meets the bookclub members and finds her life about to change.

The movie was very charming and sweet and there was nothing I would change.  Filled with Downton Abbey faces,  beautiful rural and village scenery, and shots of wartime London every design detail was perfect.  The clothes, makeup and hairstyles were the right shade of muted and worn and just seemed lived in and made me warm and happy.

There were tears from some of the older ladies around me, although I didn't sniffle it was touching and memorable.  5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

This sounds like one that I would like, too. It's interesting that the film captured you more than the book did.